As you age, you are more susceptible to eye conditions that compromise your vision. That's why early detection is imperative and can make treatment more successful. Dr. Ramirez provides comprehensive eye care services, helping you maintain optimal vision. At Crystal Clear Optometry, we are dedicated to helping patients manage macular degeneration and other eye-related issues.
What Is Macular Degeneration?
Macular degeneration is the deterioration of the central part of the retina called the macula. As a result, patients often experience loss of vision in the center of their field of vision.
How Macular Degeneration Occurs
Aging is the primary culprit for patients diagnosed with this eye condition. However, other factors contribute to this disease, such as smoking, high blood pressure, heart disease, UV exposure, or family history.
Forms of Macular Degeneration
There are two types of macular degeneration, including:
- Dry macular degeneration- This type is more common, but it can take months or years to develop. This form is due to aging, causing the macula to thin out.
- Wet macular degeneration- Wet macular degeneration is less common than dry, but this form is far more dangerous. This is because the blood vessels under the retina can develop and can leak blood and other fluids that eventually cause scarring on the retina
Symptoms of Macular Degeneration
It's imperative to understand that there are no early warning signs in the beginning stages of macular degeneration. However, as time passes, you may notice certain symptoms, including:
- Blurry vision
- Wave-like lines (on surfaces that generally look straight)
- Difficulty reading fine print
- Increase in light sensitivity
How We Can Help
There is no cure for macular degeneration, but you can take steps to put yourself at lower risk.
- Never skip a routine eye exam with our optometrist. Even if you feel like your eyes are healthy, you might have a condition where symptoms haven't set in yet.
- Eat a well-balanced diet with leafy green veggies and omega fatty acids.
- Don't forget to protect your eyes from UV rays with a good pair of sunglasses when you go outside.
There are several treatment options available depending on the type of macular degeneration you have, including mineral/vitamin supplementation, eye injections, or laser therapies. Our optometrist will work with you to ensure you receive the proper eye care to manage your macular degeneration and prevent potential vision loss.
Visit Our Optometry Office for Professional Eye Care in McAllen, TX
At Crystal Clear Optometry, we provide a wide range of tests and treatment options to provide our patients quality eye care at any stage of life. If you are looking for an "optometrist near me," contact our McAllen office today to schedule your next eye exam or to learn more about how we can help.